Fraud through UPI.Image Credit source: TV9
The trend of digital transactions is increasing rapidly in India. People are adopting digital methods for online shopping, school fees, payment of petrol and diesel. If online transaction Talking about Unified Payments Interface (UPI)upi) has come among us like a revolution. UPI has completely changed the way transactions are done in India. There is a large scale cash transaction in the country, but the craze for UPI payment is also increasing continuously. However, with the rapid growth of UPI, cases of fraud are also coming to the fore.
In today’s time, cases of online scams like WhatsApp scam, part-time job scam, movie scam are continuously coming to the fore. UPI has also not escaped from the eyes of scammers. The case of cheating with UPI is not new. Several thousand cases of UPI fraud are being registered for the last few years. This figure is increasing rapidly.
Cheated with more than 95,000 people
According to government data, 77,000 cases of UPI fraud were reported in 2020-21. In 2021-22, the number of UPI fraud cases increased to 84,000. According to the Union Finance Ministry, during 2022-23, more than 95,000 UPI fraud cases were registered in the country. The number of frauds done through UPI is continuously increasing.
How does fraud happen with UPI?
Cyber criminals cheat people in many ways through UPI.
- Excuse for asking for money refund: Scammers transfer money to people’s UPI account and say that it was transferred by mistake. After this people are asked to refund this money. For this a link of UPI is sent. As soon as you click on this link, the control of the phone goes to the scammers, and they steal money from digital wallets and bank accounts.
- Fraud by QR code: Scammers also cheat through QR code. Cyber thugs send QR codes to people. Money is debited from your account as soon as you enter the UPI PIN.
How to avoid UPI fraud?
These methods can help in avoiding UPI fraud.
- If someone says that he has transferred money to your UPI account by mistake, do a thorough investigation first. Confirm the identity of that person and if any link comes, do not click on it.
- Do not share your UPI PIN with anyone. Use it only for transacting with yourself.
- Keep an eye on the latest scams and fraud methods. From this you will come to know how scammers adopt tactics to cheat people.