The Congress on Friday demanded that the WFI be disbanded and Prime Minister Narendra Modi should answer
Image Credit source: PTI
Wrestling Federation of India head of Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh against Sexual Exploitation After leveling the allegations, the wrestlers are adamant on demanding that he be sacked. India’s top wrestlers, including Olympic medalists Bajrang Punia and Sakshi Malika and world championship medalist Vinesh Phogat, have been on strike at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar for the past two days against WFI President and BJP MP Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh. Wrestlers have accused Brij Bhushan Sharan of sexual harassment and intimidation.
The Congress on Friday demanded that the WFI be dissolved and Prime Minister Narendra Modi should answer what action he took when a wrestler allegedly raised issues with him in 2021. read big updates
today’s big news
- Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh’s son Prateek on Friday said his father will issue a statement on sexual harassment allegations against him after the sports body’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) on January 22.
- Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh had called a press conference at his hometown on Friday morning but then this press conference was postponed.
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Friday set up a seven-member committee to probe allegations of sexual harassment leveled by star wrestlers, including wrestlers like MC Mary Kom and Yogeshwar Dutt, against WFI President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh.
- Apart from ace boxer Mary Kom and wrestler Yogeshwar, the panel also includes archer Dola Banerjee and Indian Weightlifting Federation president Sahdev Yadav.
- The decision was taken at an emergency meeting of the IOA’s Executive Council. The meeting was also attended by IOA President PT Usha and Joint Secretary Kalyan Choubey, besides players like Abhinav Bindra and Yogeshwar. Shiva Keshavan attended the meeting as a special invitee
- Earlier, the protesting wrestlers had demanded the IOA to set up an inquiry committee to investigate the allegations of sexual harassment against Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh. A day before this, the wrestlers had threatened to register several FIRs against Bhushan. In a letter to IOA president Usha, the wrestlers claimed gross incompetence of the coach and sports science staff at the national camp besides alleging financial irregularities on the part of the WFI (in the fund)
- At the same time, the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President and BJP MP from Kaiserganj, Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, flatly refused to step down, describing the ongoing strike by the wrestlers as ‘Shaheen Bagh’s strike’. He said, ‘The protest of the wrestlers against me is the protest of Shaheen Bagh. Earlier, while talking to a TV channel, he had said that the players protesting have become toys in the hands of Congress and Deepender Hooda.
- Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) chief Swati Maliwal on Friday questioned why the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president has not been asked to resign despite allegations of sexual harassment leveled by women wrestlers.
- On Friday late evening once again the star wrestler came to meet Sports Minister Anurag Thakur. These wrestlers met Anurag Thakur at his residence for about 4 hours on Thursday late night and kept their side and also listened to his suggestions.
(input from language)