Virat Kohli achieved this feat while batting against South Africa (IND vs SA World Cup 2023) at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
Virat Kohli 49th Century on his Birthday: Virat Kohli has become the third Indian batsman to score an ODI century on his birthday. Kohli achieved this feat while batting against South Africa (IND vs SA World Cup 2023) at Eden Gardens, Kolkata. Playing his 8th group stage match of the tournament, Kohli played a key role in helping India reach 326 runs in the first innings on a slow Kolkata pitch. Virat Kohli has become the seventh player to score a century on his birthday.
India’s star batsman Virat Kohli on Sunday equaled Sachin Tendulkar’s record of most centuries in ODIs with 49 centuries. Overall, Kohli now has 79 international centuries to his name. Virat Kohli crossed this figure during the World Cup match against South Africa at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
Players who scored a century on their birthday in ODI
- Vinod Kambli 100* vs England Jaipur 1993 (21st birthday)
- Sachin Tendulkar 134 vs Australia Sharjah 1998 (25)
- Sanath Jayasuriya 130 vs India Karachi 2008 (39)
- Ross Taylor 131* vs Pak Pallekele 2011 (27)
- Tom Latham 140* vs Nat Hamilton 2022 (30)
- Mitchell Marsh 121 vs Pak Bengaluru 2023 (32)
- Virat Kohli 101* vs South Africa Kolkata 2023 (35)
Virat Kohli came on the pitch during the first powerplay after Rohit Sharma was out after scoring 40 runs in quick succession. Kohli had to struggle against Kagiso Rabada in the early stages of his innings. After the dismissal of Shubman Gill in the 11th over, Kohli took over the innings with Shreyas Iyer and added more than 100 runs for the third wicket.