New Delhi: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General MM Naravane said on Wednesday that the army’s response to Chinese efforts to unilaterally change the status quo in eastern Ladakh has been very strong. He also said that the case of civilians who lost their lives in Nagaland by security forces last month is being probed.
Naravane said, the military’s response to Chinese efforts to change the status quo was very strong; We were able to thwart Chinese designs.
He termed as unfortunate the death of civilians killed in army firing in Nagaland’s Oting district on December 4. He said that the Indian Army does not harm civilians even in the event of war. The safety of citizens is our top priority.
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) said, “Intense investigation is being done into the regrettable incident that took place on December 4 in Oating, Nagaland. We are committed to the safety of our countrymen even during the operation.
He said that while the last two years have been challenging due to the COVID pandemic and the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the Army has given a strong response to both.
Naravane said, we have not only increased the forces, but also the infrastructure and weapons in the last two years. Roads, tunnels, storage facilities have been established. We are in a much better position than we were a year and a half ago. We are ready for any challenge.
first published:Jan. 12, 2022, 7:40 p.m.