Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
A big decision has been taken in the cabinet meeting held under the chairmanship of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. Actually, the 50 percent barrier of reservation has been increased to 65 percent. Whereas economically backward people will continue to get 10 percent reservation. In this way, there will now be a provision of total 75 percent reservation in Bihar. Now Nitish government will bring a bill to increase reservation in Bihar Assembly on 9 November.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has taken steps to propose to increase the reservation for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, as well as Other Backward Classes and Extremely Backward Classes in the state from the limit of 50 percent set by the Supreme Court to 65 percent. The Chief Minister’s statement in the Assembly came soon after the state released the full report of the controversial caste survey detailing the economic condition of various sections.
Who will get reservation in Bihar and how much?
After presenting the detailed caste survey report in the Assembly, CM Nitish Kumar said that there is a need to increase the quota for Other Backward Classes, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. We will take necessary steps after proper deliberations. Our intention is to implement these changes in the current session.
If we look at the proposed reservation in Bihar, 20% will be given to Scheduled Castes (SC), 2% to Scheduled Tribes (ST), 43% to Other Backward Classes (OBC) and Extremely Backward Classes (EBC). At present, in state jobs and educational institutions in Bihar, there is 18 percent reservation for EBC, 12 percent for OBC, 16 percent for SC, 1 percent for ST and 3 percent for backward class women.
BJP accused Nitish Kumar of appeasement
According to the caste survey, the politically powerful Yadavs constitute 14.26 percent of Bihar’s population, the highest among OBCs. He is also the main vote bank of Lalu Prasad Yadav’s Rashtriya Janata Dal. Amidst the demand of the opposition parties included in the Indian faction for a national caste census, the BJP has called the caste survey a part of Nitish Kumar’s “appeasement politics”.
Also read- Is this the effect of age? His actions and words are different from the old Nitish…