Prior to the present Parliament House, the meeting of the Central Assembly was held in the Viceregal Lodge.
It was the rule of the British government. capital from Kolkata in 1911 Delhi Transfer was done. A new city was being built. This was the period when the place of Lok Sabha in the country Imperial Legislative Council Was. This council had the right to take important decisions of the country. in 1919 when the new council By the time it was formed, the number of members had increased to 145, when it came to the meeting, it was thought that where this meeting should be held.
This was the first time when the British realized that there should be a place for the Central Legislative Assembly Council, after which the administrative building was proposed in Delhi. Architects Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker prepared the plan and the country got the new Central Assembly, which later became known as the Parliament House, although it was the second such building in the country where the Parliament was located. Even before this the meeting of the Central Assembly used to take place, but where? Let’s know.
The first meeting was held at the Viceregal Lodge
In 1919, when the problem of where to hold the meeting came before the Central Assembly, the first meeting was held in the Viceregal Lodge with the consent of the members and the permission of the then Viceroy. It used to be the Viceroy’s House at that time. After the capital was shifted to Delhi, this building became the center of power. In the meeting held here, the members of the Central Assembly proposed a new administrative building. Only after this the Viceroy’s House (President’s House), Parliament House and other buildings were completed.
read this also : The journey of the present Parliament, know about the glorious history of the building
Viceregal Lodge was built in 1902
The Viceregal Lodge is a major part of Delhi University, in which the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. The offices of the Vice Chancellor and Registrar remain. Trees are planted all around, there are one-storey lodges and other structures around. When Lutyens was settling Delhi, the Viceroy used to live here, this building used to be the center of power.
In 1933 the building was given to Delhi University
In 1921, the foundation stone of the administrative building i.e. the present Parliament was laid by the Duke of Connaught. Six years later, in 1927, this building was completed and was inaugurated by Viceroy Lord Irwin. Meanwhile, the Viceroy’s House was also completed. In 1933, Raisina Hills was made the Viceroy’s House. After this the Viceregal Lodge was handed over to Delhi University.
Also read: Know who laid the foundation stone of Parliament House
very special structure
The architecture of the Viceregal Lodge is unique, with gardens and corridors surrounding this single-storey pillared building. The rooms are spacious and a waiting room is also built in front of all, the same room used to serve as the meeting room during the work as the central assembly, now the academic and executive council meetings of the university are held here.