In today’s era, most people use ATM to withdraw money from their bank account. Through ATM, people easily get money according to their needs in a few seconds.
Image Credit source: Representational Image
In today’s era, most people use ATM to withdraw money from their bank account. Through ATM, people easily get money according to their needs in a few seconds. But it is also necessary to be careful while using ATM. This is because, nowadays, criminals are also executing frauds related to ATMs. Criminals also use skimming for this. Let us know what this skimming is and how it can be avoided.
What is skimming?
In skimming, information is stolen through the magnetic strip present on the ATM card. Criminals obtain information from credit or debit or ATM cards by reading the magnetic strip given on the back of the card. To do this, they attach a small device to an ATM or merchant payment terminal. This device scans the details of the card and stores it. Apart from this, a small camera is also used to capture the pin. Skimming also happens at ATMs, restaurants, shops or other places.
keep these things in mind
- Stand near the ATM and guard your PIN and cover the keypad with your other hand while entering the PIN.
- If you see something unusual, strange, suspicious. If something appears to be wrong with the ATM or the keypad is not attached properly, stop the transaction and inform the bank.
- If you suspect that something is stuck in the card slot or keypad, do not use it. Cancel the transaction and leave.
- Never try to remove anything suspicious.
- If an unknown person calls you at the ATM and asks for help, then be alert. Don’t let anyone try to divert your attention.
- Do not share your PIN with anyone. Whether the person claims to be from your bank or the police.